Everyone loves going on holiday. Holidays are great to relax, explore new cities, enjoy time with friends and family, or just drink cocktails in the sun. Traveling to your destination, however, is always a pain. If it happens to be a particularly unlucky day, you'll get stuck with long queues, delayed flights and irritable airline staff. Luckily, with just a little bit of planning, you can make your time at the airport cheaper, faster and more comfortable.
That’s why we’ve come up with our top 10 airport hacks to get you through your next flight! Learn how to navigate the airport like a seasoned pro with our tips and tricks. You'll be surprised at how much smoother your journey is and how much money and time you can save!
Our top 10 airport tricks and tips to save time and money
1. Bring an empty, reusable water bottle. It’s important to drink loads of water before your flight and on it to stay hydrated. But who wants to spend $10 on overpriced bottle of water at the airport? There are always water fountains dotted around the airport terminal with free water. And since you are allowed to bring a water bottle through security as long as it’s empty, you can take advantage of these water fountains. Grab your Evachill reusable water bottle here and you’ll never have to pay for overpriced water again!
2. Pick the checkpoint furthest to the left. Studies have shown that right-handed people tend to turn right first because people tend to be biased towards their dominant hand. Since the majority of people are right-handed, turn left instead and opt for the line furthest to the left for shorter and quicker queues.
3. Bring an outlet splitter. Finding an empty power outlet at the airport is like finding gold. So when you do find one, it’s so useful to have an outlet splitter to charge all of your devices at once. You can also ask someone who’s already using a power outlet if they’d mind you plugging in so you can both benefit.
4. Use something to ID your bags. This tip is all about saving time at the airport once you’ve arrived at your destination. There’s nothing worse than having to push your way through a crowd at the luggage carousel only to find that it wasn’t even your bag that you’d spotted. Instead, buy a bag strap to wrap around your luggage, tie a piece of ribbon to the handle, or even opt for an unusually coloured bag. Anything to make your bag stand out for you to identify it easily. This can also help prevent someone mistakenly taking your bag home too!
5. Pack basic first aid supplies. You never know when you might need a plaster or some antiseptic spray. Pack some basic first aid supplies in with your carry-on toiletries just in case you have an unexpected accident.
6. Bring your own alcohol. As long as you bring your alcohol in a see-through bag, it’s sealed and is under 100ml then it can be taken through airport security. This means you can enjoy a pre-flight alcoholic beverage or save it for when you land to celebrate.
7. Pack your own snacks. Just like water, buying snacks at the airport is unnecessarily expensive. Save yourself the hassle and money by packing your own. You’ll be thankful you did, particularly if the food on the plane isn’t great (which unfortunately is usually the case!).
8. Bring a portable phone charger. Having a portable phone charger can be a life saver when your phone’s battery is low and a power outlet isn’t available. They’re usually fairly cheap, lightweight and compact so are an essential item for your carry-on luggage.
9. Take a photo of your parking space. This tip will save you time and energy trying to find your car again in a multi-storey car park when you’ve landed and just want to get home. Simply take a photo of your car parking spot so you'll instantly know the section number and level without having to remember.
10. Take advantage of the airport’s designated sleep spaces. Airports often have quiet lounges designed for relaxing or even sleeping pods available to catch some shut-eye. If you have a while to wait before your flight, start your holiday with a little less stress. Be sure not to sleep too heavily though and miss your flight!