Australia might have headed into Autumn but that doesn’t mean that the temperatures are going anywhere soon. Evachill is based in Sydney and we’re still getting lush weather with temperatures frequently hitting the high 20s. This means that refreshing iced drinks are still firmly on the table!
This time our drinks spotlight falls on the delicious daiquiri and in particular, we’ve chosen a mango daiquiri. Mangoes are great. So great that a Gold Coast fruiterer recently spent $22,000 on a tray!
Mangoes are everywhere in the supermarkets right now so they’re the perfect fruit to make into a chilled beverage. They’ll start to drop out of season shortly so now’s a good time to show mangoes some love.
If you’re unsure how to tell if a mango is ripe, just give it a squeeze. In a very similar manner to peaches and avocados, a ripe mango will give slightly whereas an unripe mango will be much firmer. It’s also worth noting that colour is not a good indicator of how ripe the mango is!
How to make the perfect mango daiquiri
6 mangoes peeled and chopped
1 1/2 cups white rum
1 1/2 cups vodka
6 lemons, juiced
1 cup sugar syrup
6 cups crushed ice
1. Combine the mango, white rum, vodka, lemon juice and sugar syrup in a blender.
2. Blend until smooth.
3. Add the crushed ice.
4. Blend until just combined.
5. Enjoy the perfect mango daiquiri.
How to make sugar syrup
You can buy sugar syrup quite easily from most bottle shops but it's also just as easy to make your own!
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1. Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan.
2. Put the pan over a medium heat.
3. Stir continuously until the sugar has dissolved.
4. Increase the heat to high and bring to the boil.
5. Pour the sugar syrup into a jug.
6. Refrigerate until cold and ready to use.