It might be Autumn but here at Evachill HQ we can’t get enough of cold cocktails. And if those cocktails remind us of sitting on the beach enjoying the warm weather then even better! We’ve decided to focus on the Tequila Sunrise for this edition of Evachill drink ideas because quite frankly we just felt like trying out tequila recipes. The tequila sunrise looks good and it tastes delicious so that’s a win in our book.
The Tequila Sunrise was originally created in the 1930s but was modified in the 1970s. In fact, in 1972 the Rolling Stones toured America and the Tequila Sunrise was Mick Jagger’s cocktail of choice!
How to make the perfect Tequila Sunrise cocktail
125ml of gold tequila
500ml of chilled orange juice
1 1/2 tablespoons of fresh grenadine
1 cup of crushed ice
1. Divide the ice among the serving glasses.
2. Pour the tequila.
3. Top up the glasses with the orange juice.
4. Pour grenadine into the centre of each glass so it sinks to the bottom.
The Tequila Sunrise is called a sunrise because of its gradient colour. For a stronger gradient guide the grenadine down the glass with a spoon so that it gets to the bottom of the glass with minimal mixing.
Here are a couple of variations you can try:
- Aperol Sunrise – substitute Aperol orange liqueur for grenadine
- Tequila Sunset – substitute blackberry brandy, or dark rum, for grenadine
- Caribbean Sunrise – use rum instead of tequila
- Vodka Sunrise – use vodka instead of tequila
- Southern Sunrise – use Southern Comfort instead of tequila
- Astronaut Sunrise – use Tang instead of orange juice
- Amaretto Sunrise – use Disaronno amaretto instead of tequila
- Florida Sunrise – use equal measures of pineapple and orange juice
- Red Sea Sunrise – non-alcoholic version that uses lemonade or Sprite instead of tequila
- Enamorada Sunrise – substitute Campari for grenadine syrup
- Colorado Sunrise – use Captain Morgan and Sunny Delight instead of tequila and orange juice
- Bequia Sunrise – use Union Jake's Honey Brandy instead of tequila
- Goon Sunrise – use cask wine instead of tequila
If you have an Evachill bottle you can make your tequila sunrise in it, take it out for the day and enjoy ice cold cocktails wherever and whenever you please. You can’t get better than that!